Neuropathy, also known as peripheral neuropathy, is a condition that affects the peripheral nerves, which are responsible for transmitting messages between the central nervous system and the rest of the body.
This condition can cause a variety of uncomfortable symptoms and significantly impact a person’s quality of life. In this blog, we will explore the causes and symptoms of neuropathy and discuss various treatment options.
Causes of Neuropathy
Neuropathy can result from several factors, including:
- Diabetes: Diabetic neuropathy is the most common cause, as high blood sugar levels can damage nerves over time.
- Injuries: Traumatic injuries, such as those sustained in accidents, can damage peripheral nerves and lead to neuropathy.
- Infections: Viral and bacterial infections, such as Lyme disease and shingles, can cause nerve damage.
- Autoimmune Diseases: Conditions like lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and Sjogren’s syndrome can lead to peripheral neuropathy.
- Vitamin Deficiencies: Deficiencies in vitamins B1, B6, B12, and E can cause nerve damage.
- Certain Medications: Some medications, such as chemotherapy drugs, can cause neuropathy as a side effect.
- Inherited Disorders: Some genetic disorders can lead to peripheral neuropathy, such as Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease.
Symptoms of Neuropathy
The symptoms of neuropathy can vary depending on the affected nerves and can range from mild to severe.
Common symptoms include:
- Numbness, tingling, or burning sensations in the hands or feet
- Sharp, throbbing, or shooting pain
- Muscle weakness or loss of muscle tone
- Loss of coordination and balance
- Increased sensitivity to touch
- Changes in skin, hair, or nails
Treatment Options for Neuropathy at Jackson Healing Arts
At Jackson Healing Arts in Jackson, MO, we offer a comprehensive approach to managing peripheral neuropathy, focusing on addressing the root cause of the condition and providing relief from symptoms.
Our treatment options include:
- Human Cellular Tissue products
- Platelet-rich Plasma Therapy
- Spinal Decompression
- Chiropractic Care
Finding the Right Treatment Plan
When seeking treatment for neuropathy, it’s crucial to work with experienced healthcare professionals who can accurately diagnose the underlying cause and develop a tailored treatment plan. The Jackson Healing Arts’ multidisciplinary team collaborates to provide comprehensive care for neuropathy patients, ensuring the most effective treatments are used for your own unique presentation. Call our team at (573) 243-5095 to schedule an appointment with our doctor today.